Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

s40 1.8i gdi mechanical fuel pump problem

Old 04-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s40 1.8i gdi mechanical fuel pump problem

Hi i am new here and was wondering if you can help me out. i have an s40 se 1.8i with the gdi engine and just recently i have been having problems with the running of the car. I got it decoked last year at 25000 miles and it ran fine this was done under the warenty. well my warenty has run out now so i took the car to the volvo dealer and they said that the problem i was having was due to the mechanical fuel pump which is attached to the camshaft. this is for driving the injectors. i am not a mechanical person so i am not sure.

The engine managemet light was coming on so i took it to an engine dignostics place and he gave me a code for the fuel system. this is before i took it to volvo.

I nearly had kittens when i i was informed that it was going to cost me nearly £600 to get it fixed with the cost of the fuel pump being just over £420 plus vat.

I looked on the net and found someone breaking a volvo s40 with the gdi engine and he confirmed that they had the right part. so i bought it only to find it was the wrong part as there is two different types of cam driven pumps. so i have to send it back.

My car is a 2000 x plate and has low milage. i have look on the net but can not find any place that has one. i have tried the places that have been recomended on this site but to no avail.

Does anybody know of anyplace i can get a second hand one of these or even a cheaper new one.

I am worried that it is not this part and do not want to go and buy it and fit it only to find out it is not this that is the problem.

Does anybody know how accurate these VOLVO dignostics machines are???

If it says it is this is it prety much right or is there room for speculation in this. if this is the case then i might aswell bite the bullet and pay the volvo dealer to do it. that way i get a warenty with it. but if it is not that then will the volvo take it back and i will not have to pay for it?? this is the millian dollar question?

i dont want to see me down the road of being out of pocket by £600 and still have a broken car.

I have been searching through this forum and can not see anything relating to this problem so if anyone has had the same problem as i do then please tell me so that i know wht to expect??

thanks very much in advance for your input.

regards
Cunzie

S40 se 1.8i GDI
32000 miles.