Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

Was just an oil leak, now water in oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was just an oil leak, now water in oil?

Sadly, this is my first post. I just bought a '98 V70 XC that needed some minor work, and I drove it 100 miles home. The only thing wrong I knew was a check engine light, which was diagnosed as a vacuum leak and misfire at #3. I also noticed a bad oil leak apparently coming from near the top of the radiator on the passenger side. I checked the dipstick and it still had plenty of oil. Today I was on my way to the mechanic to check that out when I noticed the temp gauge was going above half. I turned back home and got there just as it was about to get into the red, and discovered a water/oil mix all over the front of the engine, in the gereral area of where the leak was a couple of days ago, just much worse now. The reservoir is full of the mixture as well. The oil was fine just two days ago with no signs of overheating. When I hear about these things I assume head gasket, but this stuff is leaking out the same place. If not the head, what is it? Will the engine be ok once it's repaired?

Old 01-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Default RE: Was just an oil leak, now water in oil?

Are you sure that it is engine oil and not transmission fluid? What is the current level of oil in the engine?

Old 01-23-2008, 04:07 PM

Yes, I'm sure. The level was very low and needed a quart, but no foam on the dipstick.. The radiator is sealed, right? So there shouldn't be any leaking from the radiator at all, but there is. I just can't get the cover off right now. Just looking around, I've seen that the radiator can crack inside and cause an oil/coolant mix, but it doesn't seem that the oil leak from that same area and the milkshake substance coming from that general area are coincidence. I just don't want to discover that the radiator isn't the main reason for this.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:06 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would say Radiator oil cooler tank split and is mixing with the coolant and leaking out.
The oil is under more pressure than the coolant so I would think with just a new radiator you should be fine.

But I would have everything looked over good by a shop.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:58 PM

I wouldn't suppose this would have anything to do with my lack of heat when driving and the passenger side being completely void of any heat whatsoever (which after getting this problem fixed I will look into more). This is the 2nd Volvo I've had, the first was an 850 I quickly returned to the used car dealer with more problems than I have fingers. But so far the forum has been very helpful just searching...already solved my key stuck in the ignition and the "off" code on the radio. Unfortunately I've never seen nor heard of such a catastrophic failure of a radiator, albeit plastic.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It might be from that as well but get the other problem fixed first.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:05 AM

Problem solved with aftermarket radiator, flushed oil out (3x) until clear. Heat works again. But the car has too many problems so it will go bye bye.