Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Windshield washer fluid doesn't spray

Old 04-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield washer fluid doesn't spray

Hey folks, newbie here with a quick question: Suddenly, my windshield washer nozzle doesn't spray any fluid, no matter how many times I hold down the lever. The wipers move as directed, but no fluid sprays out. Any ideas what the problem could be?

By the way, I own a 2006 s40 T5. (Not sure if that matters.) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-29-2008, 05:59 AM
Default RE: Windshield washer fluid doesn't spray

1st, I presume you have checked the fluid reservoir to make sure it is full.

2nd, locate the fuse for the windscreen washer

3rd, remove nozzle to check if a granule or debris is clogging the orphic

Old 04-29-2008, 07:25 AM

also, check your hoses that run under the hood to the nozzles...one of mine actually came lose and that was my culprit...

Old 05-01-2008, 03:05 AM

False alarm: I forgot to fill the washer fluid reservoir ... bahaha, just joking. But I wish I had been that absentminded, then this fix would be quite easy.

Actually, turns out mcguij1 is right. There's a tiny plastic cap (about the size of a button) for the joint that connects the main hose from the reservoir to the hose that leads to the first nozzle and it popped out. So whenever I pulled the lever, the fluid would give my engine a nice washing but wouldn't reach the first or second nozzle. Any idea where I can purchase this little cap? Or where I can buy the whole joint or replace the whole hose line?

Old 05-01-2008, 07:25 AM

the cap im not sure about but I bought hose that was the similar size to the stock hose at my NAPA store, most place should have it just bring a piece with you...

Old 05-05-2008, 12:25 AM
Default $2.50 fix

I'm happy to report that my windshield washer fluid now sprays successfully. I asked a coworker where I should buy a new stock hose and where I could get a new joint. Being an ex-mechanic, he looked at it and said that all I needed to do was go to a local parts store and buy a new generic vacuum T (which is the proper name to what I referred to as "the joint").

I did exactly that and even though the vacuum T isn't exactly the same, it fit the hoses and now everything's working as it should.

Thanks so much for everyone's input! It lead me on the right path.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Default My cap fell out too

Originally Posted by rolotamossy
I'm happy to report that my windshield washer fluid now sprays successfully. I asked a coworker where I should buy a new stock hose and where I could get a new joint. Being an ex-mechanic, he looked at it and said that all I needed to do was go to a local parts store and buy a new generic vacuum T (which is the proper name to what I referred to as "the joint").

I did exactly that and even though the vacuum T isn't exactly the same, it fit the hoses and now everything's working as it should.

Thanks so much for everyone's input! It lead me on the right path.
Hi rolotamossy. I have a 2007 S40 and my cap fell out too. It still sprays out...just all under to hood. Do you know if that vacuum T comes in different sizes?

Old 02-28-2011, 02:58 AM
Default Vacuum T

I do believe that the vacuum T's do come in different sizes. I went to a Kragen's and it sold only a few variations -- I don't quite remember exactly which sizes. But I'm sure if you go to your local parts store, you'll find at least one that should fit. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:27 PM

Have the same problem (just discovered it today!) Thanks to this thread I know exactly what I need!!
thanks!

Old 07-15-2011, 04:37 AM

Hi, first post and all so go easy with me...

I have a 2005 54plate S40 and this has developed the problem of the loose washer pump hose. I can reach the hose through the gap between the driver's door and front wing but I can't see where to reconnect it. Can anyone tell me how to gain access to the pump to fit the hose?

Thanks.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:28 PM

Wow. I just found out that I too am missing the little button cover between the driver/passenger nozzles. Nice to know I thought I was going crazy! Thanks everybody!

Old 01-31-2014, 11:03 AM
Default Same problem, easy fix

I bought a replacement part at a Napa store. Didn't get to see a package but the invoice says:

Part Number: 9884
Line: NBH
Description: TEE CONNECTOR
Price: $6.26

Seems a little pricey but I'm sure it save me a lot compared to putting a mechanic on such an easy fix. As stated before, it's not exactly the same part since there's no cap. Both hoses and the sprayer port fit very snug. Honestly seems like an upgrade unless I'm missing some design point like: in freezing temps cap expands/breaks instead of hose? Anyway I run only 0C or better fluid so I'll risk it.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Old thread but just what I needed for my 2005 S40.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The actual correct part does not allow fluid to flow back to the reservoir and is about $12.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:46 AM
Default windshield sprayer does not work

HI, 2001 Volvo s40. Sprayer doesn't work. When I pull lever, windshield wipers go, no fluid comes out. Reservoir is full. So if there was leak in hose, reservoir would be emptying out, which it doesn't. I am in Chicago, very cold winter. Thinking either need a new washer sprayer pump/motor, or is it possible something is frozen blocking the fluid? Trouble with latter is I would think from the engine heating up and today, it is finally in the 20's that it would unfreeze. Anybody have thoughts, and how difficult is it to replace the motor? Where can I get one. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:15 AM

Basic Troubleshooting. Pull the hose from the jet and see if fluid comes out.

If not, take the left front wheel and fender liner out (!!!) and check for pressure, then electricity at the pump. (Make sure you are checking the correct pump.)

MF

Old 06-10-2014, 03:39 PM

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for everyone's help here. I needed to replace my 2009 S40's T-Valve because the cap had popped off (see below) but had no idea what it was called. I went to my local parts store but they didn't have one. Found one online at Voluparts for $6.25 plus shipping. Replaced it and everything is working perfectly!

Name:  HbczoF3l.jpg
Views: 2259
Size:  22.8 KB

Old 06-11-2014, 05:00 AM

My local garage managed to fix my problem - it seems the hose had become trapped and the pressure was blowing the pipe off the reservoir.

My current problem is that my headlight washers don't work. The reservoir is full and I have had the fuse checked. Is there anything else I should check?

Old 06-11-2014, 07:42 AM

Assuming that your S40 has the same system as my V50, you can get access to the back of the highpressure pump by removing the driver's side wheel liner. You will see the primary pump, and you can do basic troubleshooting from there.

Assuming that the Headlight washer pump is putting out water, you can check that the fluid can get to the headlight nozzel area by G E N T L Y pulling the nozzle out and disengaging it. You can see what should be happening at:

Volvo Headlight Washer - YouTube

Old 08-08-2014, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by zerochills
1st, I presume you have checked the fluid reservoir to make sure it is full.

2nd, locate the fuse for the windscreen washer

3rd, remove nozzle to check if a granule or debris is clogging the orphic
Would anyone happen to know where the windshield washer pump fuse is located on a 2005 Volvo T5 awd.....checked under the hood and under glove box inside and nothing marked as such.....would it be marked something else??.....pulling lever and no spray and no sound

Old 08-08-2014, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Steve99
Would anyone happen to know where the windshield washer pump fuse is located on a 2005 Volvo T5 awd.....checked under the hood and under glove box inside and nothing marked as such.....would it be marked something else??.....pulling lever and no spray and no sound
The fuse list is on page 180 in my manual. You can get PDF copy if yours is missing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield washer fluid doesn't spray