Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

98 volvo s70 non turbo will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 volvo s70 non turbo will not start

hello,
I have a 98 s70 non turbo that will not start unlessI turn the key tocrankit 5 to 6 times. It happens when the car has been parked outside overnight. It's pretty cold here. I always have to turn the key at least 5 times, then it finally starts. Once it starts, it never stalls and it fires right back up whenever I try to re-start it. There is no check engine light. The car runs fine and smoothandthereseems to be no power loss.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: 98 volvo s70 non turbo will not start

Sounds like you are loosing fuel pressure for some reason.
I would check the fuel residual pressure.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:50 AM

Thanks for your replay, Tech.
I've done some search online about residual fuel pressure and it seems to be caused by several factors such as leaking injector, pressure regulator or fuel pump check valve. I'm not sure how to go by checking the residual fuel pressure.I'm a novice in this matter.

I took the car to a mechanic and he said it starts right up. Well, the car is in the climate controlled garage. I am not sure why itstarts right upwhen it has been sitting in the garagebut does not start until 5 to 6 cranks when it has been sitting over outside in the cold.

Could this be something to do sensors like cam position sensor, coolant tempearture sensor and so on?
I've done some search on thisforum and some people seem to have found a solution with fuel pump relay.

I'm totally lost.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Administrator

To check the residual pressure a guage would have to be hooked up and watched while the car sits overnight. The pressure will usually settle down to between 10 and 20 PSI and stay there. If it drops all the way to 0 then something might be allowing it to bleed down.
Then the reason it takes so ling to start is because the fuel has bled down all the way back to the tank. So when you crank it you have to pump the fuel from inside the tank all the way to the motor.

It is possible it could be a sensor as well. You could also hook a light up to the fuel pump wiring in the trunk and make sure the light is on when it takes a while to start. If the light is on then it would not be the relay. If the light was off then the pump has no power meaning the relay might be bad.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:19 PM

What parts might have gone faulty that the residual pressure drops all the way to 0? What is that "something" that might be allowing it to bleed down?

How do you go about checking residual pressure? Is there something called "residual pressure valve?" What kind of gauge do I need?

I feel like a super novice.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Administrator

The fuel pressure regulator,Injector, or fuel pump.

You would have to get a fuel pressure guage with a screw on connection on the end like a tire.

Then you would have to connect the guage to the end of the fuel rail. Start the car and let it run for a few minutes. Then shut it off and see where the pressure settles for the moment. Then leave it sit overnight like that with the guage on.

Before trying to start it look and see what the pressure is. if it is 0 and it takes long to start it is one of the things above.

If you still have pressure and it is hard to start then it is something else.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:42 AM

Thanks, Tech for your help!

It turned out to be multiple things, fuel pump relay, spark plugs, and (possibly) RPM sensor.
The car never stalled once it started up, but I was not sure what it had to do with fouled spark plugs. The spark plugs looked all dark with smell of fuel. The fuel pump relay was not working. The RPM sensor(borrowed part) was replaced but the mechanic put the one that did not have the right color wires on the connector, so he spliced correct wiring harness to the connect. I don't know if it makes sense but the car starts effortlessly all the time.