Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

01 C70 starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 C70 starting problems

My C70 tries not to start sometimes. It just cranks and doesn't turn over. Sounds like its not getting fuel. When I give it gas it turns over. Sometimes at a stop when I let off the brake to inch up it sputters. Like its going to die. Doesn't do it all the time. Took it to a Volvo shop today and since there were not warning lights on they couldn't figure out what it was. They were unable to get it to mess up while they were testing. Any suggestions?

Old 04-13-2009, 03:22 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fuel filter been changed lately?

r

Old 04-15-2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by reg
fuel filter been changed lately?

r
No I haven't change it and I've had it for 7 months. Which was my thoughts also, something fuel related. But since it doesn't do it all the time, the shop couldn't figure it out.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:08 PM

I'm having the same problem! Sometimes it wants to start but sometimes it doesn't. It will crank over but not start. So I have to sit there for a few minutes, as long as 15 min sometimes for it to start. Took it to a Volvo shop and they couldn't figure it out. Haven't tried the Fuel filter yet, but did it work for someone with the same problem

thanks,
DjMony

Old 04-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djmony
I'm having the same problem! Sometimes it wants to start but sometimes it doesn't. It will crank over but not start. So I have to sit there for a few minutes, as long as 15 min sometimes for it to start. Took it to a Volvo shop and they couldn't figure it out. Haven't tried the Fuel filter yet, but did it work for someone with the same problem

thanks,
DjMony
If your car was running the same as OP then perhaps the same problem.
On an 01 could also be an immobilizer problem for intermittent starting. Antenna ring around the key cylinder is the most common component failure, 9445961. This though would not cause your car to sputter when braking.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:48 PM

Thanks MKC70 for the info. The shop did mention that it could be the immobilizer and the key I had might be causing it to shut down. So I ordered a new key and had the Local Volvo dealership reprogram all the keys and the new one, but still had the same starting problem.

It does sometimes start up for maybe 1 or 2 seconds then dies, so it could be the immobilizer. Can that be taken out or replaced?

thanks,
DjMony

Old 04-25-2009, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by djmony
Thanks MKC70 for the info. The shop did mention that it could be the immobilizer and the key I had might be causing it to shut down. So I ordered a new key and had the Local Volvo dealership reprogram all the keys and the new one, but still had the same starting problem.

It does sometimes start up for maybe 1 or 2 seconds then dies, so it could be the immobilizer. Can that be taken out or replaced?

thanks,
DjMony
Previous post has the part#. The antenna ring is the piece that you see around the key cylinder. This is the part if something were to go bad that you read about people replacing, other than the occasional key. All you need to do to replace is remove the torx screws from the bottom of the steering column shroud, and remove it. Pull antenna ring off of cylinder and unplug. Plug in new one and replace shroud. Part is not expensive and can be done by you at no cost.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:44 PM

Could this issue also be on an 2004. Ours sometimes wont start, I'll have to wait about 20 seconds and then it will usually start. Except when I took it to the tire shop to get a puncture fixed. The gal moving the car had to do it like 4 times before she could move it. Very embarrassing.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by BenDrinken
Could this issue also be on an 2004. Ours sometimes wont start, I'll have to wait about 20 seconds and then it will usually start. Except when I took it to the tire shop to get a puncture fixed. The gal moving the car had to do it like 4 times before she could move it. Very embarrassing.
Yes it is possible. Make certain no other RFID tags(eg. gym key,work tag) are on the key ring as they will also interfere with the little chip in the key.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by mkc70
Yes it is possible. Make certain no other RFID tags(eg. gym key,work tag) are on the key ring as they will also interfere with the little chip in the key.

Still having the problem, and now when I leave in the morning or any time my car has been sitting for a couple hours while I'm driving it kinda cuts out. Like its put-puting along. I can still gain speed and after a minute or so it stops. But my check engine light is on and has been on for a week or so. I took it back to the Vovlo shop and even with the check engine light being on, they still tell me they can't find anything. My SRS light is now on also. They told me there's a problem with that and that my airbags won't deploy in an accident. But I'm not to sure if they know what they are talking about at this point. Volvo told me it could be the Mass Air Flow Sensor, (which I replaced about 5 months ago) but I replaced it again. And didn't help one bit. I will be changing the fuel filter and possible an O2 sensor this weekend. But if anyone has any other suggestions, please please advise. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by koster
Still having the problem, and now when I leave in the morning or any time my car has been sitting for a couple hours while I'm driving it kinda cuts out. Like its put-puting along. I can still gain speed and after a minute or so it stops. But my check engine light is on and has been on for a week or so. I took it back to the Vovlo shop and even with the check engine light being on, they still tell me they can't find anything. My SRS light is now on also. They told me there's a problem with that and that my airbags won't deploy in an accident. But I'm not to sure if they know what they are talking about at this point. Volvo told me it could be the Mass Air Flow Sensor, (which I replaced about 5 months ago) but I replaced it again. And didn't help one bit. I will be changing the fuel filter and possible an O2 sensor this weekend. But if anyone has any other suggestions, please please advise. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.
Strange in that no codes are coming up. Immobilizer does not cause your car to run poorly, just makes the car start. Have someone reset the SRS and see what happens before you start buying replacement parts. Keep us posted on what you find out,

Old 05-30-2009, 10:11 PM

Strange in that no codes are coming up. Immobilizer does not cause your car to run poorly, just makes the car start. Have someone reset the SRS and see what happens before you start buying replacement parts. Keep us posted on what you find out,
Haven't done anything yet to the car. Still have the starting problems although it seems not as much. The shop said my driver side, side impact airbag is not "talking" to the main computer. And that they could fix it but it would cost one of my arms and probably a leg for good measure. And since I'm quite found of my arms and legs right now, I haven't fixed it. They said that if the light is on and I'm in an accident none of the airbags will delpoy. Well if that happens then maybe they will be able to get the arm and leg they want. They reset the light. But it came back on about a week later. But I appreciate all the advise from everyone. I will continue to try to find the problem.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Default Hey mkc70 (or anyone for that matter)

Previous post has the part#. The antenna ring is the piece that you see around the key cylinder. This is the part if something were to go bad that you read about people replacing, other than the occasional key. All you need to do to replace is remove the torx screws from the bottom of the steering column shroud, and remove it. Pull antenna ring off of cylinder and unplug. Plug in new one and replace shroud. Part is not expensive and can be done by you at no cost.
I'm looking for instructions or pictures or a manual or something to help in replacing the antenna ring talked about above. Also, ideas on where I could get this part. Just any part store in town, or maybe FCP Groton. Appreciate any suggestions.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:33 PM

I'm looking for instructions or pictures or a manual or something to help in replacing the antenna ring talked about above. Also, ideas on where I could get this part. Just any part store in town, or maybe FCP Groton. Appreciate any suggestions.
Only tools necessary is a torx bit for the bottom screws on the plastic steering column shroud. It really is a breeze to swap out with a new one. Since the item is not expensive, and you will not be able to return it if it does not fix your problem just buy it at your local dealership. You will have it right away, and it should cost under $40. Good luck.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:30 PM
reg

Use our search engine............there is a posting on changing out the antenna. They do go bad but I truly doubt that changing it will solve your particular issues with the engine.

r.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by reg
Use our search engine............there is a posting on changing out the antenna. They do go bad but I truly doubt that changing it will solve your particular issues with the engine.

r.
I have to agree with reg on this one. You, Koster have stated earlier that your problem is not only starting, but almost stalling at certain points. As I have pointed out earlier, the antenna ring does not do this, but only prevents startup. If you have ever had the immobilizer fault you will turn the key to the crank position and it should start up for a fraction of a second. Trying the start position afterwards will only lead to cranking, but NO attempt to start. Bending the pins on the antenna ring plug or replacing the part have been stated as known repairs.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Default Starting Problems

I have to agree with reg on this one. You, Koster have stated earlier that your problem is not only starting, but almost stalling at certain points. As I have pointed out earlier, the antenna ring does not do this, but only prevents startup. If you have ever had the immobilizer fault you will turn the key to the crank position and it should start up for a fraction of a second. Trying the start position afterwards will only lead to cranking, but NO attempt to start. Bending the pins on the antenna ring plug or replacing the part have been stated as known repairs.
I have fixed all my other issues. (https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/completely-utterly-lost-i-pray-someone-can-help-33911/)

The only one I am left with the is the starting problem. Sometimes it doesn't want to start. And now its getting worse. Before it was just it wouldn't start for a few seconds, now its about 10 seconds or so that it just cranks. It doesn't do it all the time, and I can never predict when it will, like is it cold, or hot or something, so its hard to have someone diagnosis it because usually it won't do it for the shop. No that its getting cold her in Kansas I am really concerned with being stranded somewhere in the cold. So I need to get this fixed. Which is why I was thinking it was the antenna ring. I guess I will try that and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the advise. Much appreciated.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:19 AM

I have fixed all my other issues. (https://volvoforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33911)

The only one I am left with the is the starting problem. Sometimes it doesn't want to start. And now its getting worse. Before it was just it wouldn't start for a few seconds, now its about 10 seconds or so that it just cranks. It doesn't do it all the time, and I can never predict when it will, like is it cold, or hot or something, so its hard to have someone diagnosis it because usually it won't do it for the shop. No that its getting cold her in Kansas I am really concerned with being stranded somewhere in the cold. So I need to get this fixed. Which is why I was thinking it was the antenna ring. I guess I will try that and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the advise. Much appreciated.
Well if that is the case then I would give it a shot. If you need images I may be able to upload some this weekend(unless you find that install post), keep us posted.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:56 PM
reg

Well MKC, let's try a different tact for Koster. I'll relate my instance. I went through the antenna ring issue with no good results. Under warranty the auto (02 c70) had the immobilizer replaced..................still no go. Guess what the problem was...........when removing the "computer box" as Volvo decided that was the problem.........well come to find out the harness connector had loosened and that was my intermittent start problem. Maybe........just maybe that might be Koster's problem.

r.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by reg
Well MKC, let's try a different tact for Koster. I'll relate my instance. I went through the antenna ring issue with no good results. Under warranty the auto (02 c70) had the immobilizer replaced..................still no go. Guess what the problem was...........when removing the "computer box" as Volvo decided that was the problem.........well come to find out the harness connector had loosened and that was my intermittent start problem. Maybe........just maybe that might be Koster's problem.

r.
Anything is possible, but the plug for the immobilizer should fit pretty snugly with sufficient slack in the harness for some movement. I have inspected the antenna ring and it really does not seem like a part that should fail. Just simply a few coils of magnetic wire connected to a plug. Really feel that most of these errors people are experiencing are just from a poor connection somewhere in the wiring. By plugging and unplugging it they are reestablishing the connections. In any event it is probably something simple. Looking beyond the antenna ring should probably be left to a certified tech for many.

Quick Reply: 01 C70 starting problems