Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Help! Control arm & ball joint replace on S60

Old 11-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Control arm & ball joint replace on S60

Is there any way around removing the wheel spindle to press on a ball joint?

Also is there a tool that can be purchased for this procedure?

Finally, It appear that I would at least have to unbolt the swaybar link to get the rear bushing of the lower control arm into the sleeve. Can any one confirm this for me?

Any advice is welcomed at this point before I head out to gather more parts and tools.

I have already removed the ball joint and control arm on psngr side.

Thank you

Don

Last edited by KeithS60&V70T5; 11-07-2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: added sentence
Old 11-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I get the balljoint started and hold it steady with the bolts. Then use a hammer and punch to tap it up into the hub. No need to remove the hub.

You do not need to remove the sway bar link to get the control arm out.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:56 PM

Thanks Alan.

I had already pulled out the control arm but when testing to see how the new arm would fit, the swaybar link was in the way. I detached the lower link, moved it aside and now the arm slips right in.

My big problem was with installing the ball joint. I just about have it seated but it has been a real pain in the ***. I have a ball joint tool on loan from Checker Auto and it has proven to quite worthless for this procedure.

I have been pounding the hammer and cranking this tool most of the day and my arm is dead. I have decided to skip replacing the ball joint on the other side until I find a better way to do this.

Don

Old 11-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Default photos of my fun time over the weekend

What you dont see is all the blood , sweat and tears.

More photos in my gallery

Attached Thumbnails Help!  Control arm & ball joint replace on S60-dsc_0631reduced.jpg  
Old 11-11-2009, 03:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Keith, photo helps a lot.
Are you having problems with the stud of the balljoint engaging into the control arm, or the main body of the swivel hub?
If it's hard to get into the hub, I would remove it, look to see if you've created any burrs in the counterbore, clean them up (also take sharp edges off the balljoint housing) and reinstall. I bet if this is the problem, the balljoint is cocked slightly in the bore. I think I would use some sort of jack to press the balljoint in, start the bolts into the hub, get them snug,, attach lower control arm to the balljoint, snug that down tight then apply upward pressure with the jack on the lower control arm to drive it up. The weight of the body of the car and the spring pressing downwards should be enough to see it into it's bore.I would use alarge socket over the balljoint spindle and nut so you apply pressure to the control arm around the balljoint stud, rather than through the stud.
The reason I suggest reassembling control arm onto balljoint before doing this is to the whole assembly is back together and you are applying upward force safely (for both you and the parts). I also think that as you jack the control arm/hub up, the angle on the joint will become much more in line and help set it all up for you. As you jack it up, try tightening the bolts a little as well, use the jack AND teh bolts to apply pressure in the direction you want to go. Remember, a thread is just a round wedge!
But also remember you are tightening into aluminium, so not TOO much pressure.
You could also apply some heat to the bottom of the swivel hub around the balljoint housing, the hub is aluminium, so will expand readily with some heat, and also being aluminium, will expand at a much faster rate than the steel/iron balljoint.

Regards, Andrew.

Last edited by Typhoon; 11-11-2009 at 03:40 AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:24 PM

I just did my ball joints and we took the whole hub assembly off and took it to meineke and had them take the old joint out and press the new one in, cost was $30 per side. Worth it though cuz they werent coming out. Went to get it aligned and now they say my tie rod end is loose and they wont align it for me. Guess I have my next project.