Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Burning Rubber Smell

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning Rubber Smell

When I drive my car for a certain distance, and turn on the vent or the A/C, there is a burning rubber smell coming from the engine. Then when I stop and get out of the car, the smell is still there for a couple of minutes.

i thought maybe one of my belts is rubbing, or one of the hoses is burning... any clue?

Old 01-03-2010, 07:33 PM
PDK
Default S40 - same problem?

Hi!
I cant point to a solution, but I noticed exactly the same in my S40. Can't really distinguish if it is burning rubber or burning oil, though...

I thought it came from the seat heating - but I have never been able to point out exactly from where that stinging smell came.

I'd love to hear if others have the same problem as we do. And a solution to it...

Old 01-04-2010, 11:16 PM

I'd love to hear if others have the same problem as we do. And a solution to it...

Old 01-05-2010, 05:01 PM

I took my car to a dealership, check ur oil return line from the turbo if u have one. Mine is an 02.

The oil is leaking onto ur exhaust and burning up making it stinky.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:05 AM

Oftentimes, one of two common causes are responsible for your brakes overheating; an emergency brake left engaged while driving, and the "breaking-in" of new front pads.

If you haven't had front brakes recently installed, check that you have disengaged your emergency brake. Driving a short distance with the e-brake applied can cause the rear shoes to overheat and to give off a strong odor. If this is the case, simply disengage the brakes and proceed to drive normally. (However, if you have gone quite some distance with the e-brake engaged, you should have the rear brake lining checked.)

Alternatively, if you have just had new brake pads placed on your vehicle, it would not be unusual for you to notice the same burnt rubber smell for a brief period as the brakes "break-in." If the smell persists however, (more than an hour or two), your front brake calipers may be stuck on. This usually occurs when the pistons in the front calipers rust or wear out and begin to seize. Always ask your mechanic to check the calipers and other braking hardware (or do so yourself) when changing your brake pads.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:33 AM

I think strange smells have been reported before. No, not me, I bathe regularly! Anyway, I'm too lazy to do a search right now, but my car (with 17,000 miles) still has that rubber smell, and I can't figure it out either.

It seems rain or inclement weather brings it out more with my car.
==================================
vending
kinderbett

Old 01-20-2010, 02:24 AM

Yeah i experience something similar; we might be on the same page. It's like a burning smell - hmm i have no idea why but it happens.
=======================
nutrition counseling pregnancy
Geschenke Empfehlungen

Old 01-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Default Odd Smell, Too

I'm not sure if I have the same problem, but every time I turn off the A/C but leave the Vent on, I get an odd smell from the vents. It only occurs *after* I shut off the A/C and keep the Vent on.

It kinda smells like burnt rubber but I suspect it's more related to the freon or something similar?

Old 01-28-2010, 05:38 AM

I have noticed that it increases in the rain too.
Having just finished a hard day at the SCCA event, and not noticing any greater smell, I have to think this is exhaust related
=====================================
roof paint
wrought iron buffalo

Old 01-31-2010, 05:35 AM

smelling something 'foul' that is not really there is a type of hallucination... you may have a psychotic disorder. this doesnt make you crazy; just a part of your brain doesnt work properly.

hallucinations mean people see, hear, smell and taste things that arent really there
=================================
Making Decisions
best online business

Old 01-31-2010, 09:16 AM

after heavy periods of driving, i get this on both my cars. my 850 and my mercury. Dont know what it was, never got it through the vent though.
im not worried.

Old 02-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Default Volvo s80 burning rubber smell

I drove my Volvo to work this morning and it was working perfectly fine. Tonight as I left to go run some errands my car wouldn't gear past 30 mph and then I smelled a burning rubber smell and the engine started rumbling. I am not a mechanic but I know that it is not normal, was just wondering what the cause of the issue could be from and how to get it checked out. I did look online at some reviews and they said it could be to having to have my transmission fluid refilled or having that checked but I barely had the car for a year. What could be some other options so I know exactly what to ask a mechanic to look out for or to check for/

Old 02-21-2024, 11:11 AM
Received 108 Likes on 104 Posts

Hard to say from your description. Is the problem that the engine isn't making enough power to pull the car to speed, or that the transmission isn't allowing the power to get to the wheels?

Either way, there's something seriously wrong, and you really need to not be driving it until you figure out what it is. You may be able to tell if the car is leaking a lot of fluid of some sort, which can get on the exhaust and make a smell a lot like burning rubber. Or it could be something rubbing (usually accompanied by some sort of "unusual noise"). One thing to check is that the serpentine belt (the one that drives your alternator and A/C compressor and other things) is turning, and that all the pulleys it goes around are turning. I've seen an alternator or pulley bearing seize up which really drags the engine down, and makes (obviously) a burnt rubber (belt) smell.

Old 04-15-2024, 12:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madrussian190
When I drive my car for a certain distance, and turn on the vent or the A/C, there is a burning rubber smell coming from the engine. Then when I stop and get out of the car, the smell is still there for a couple of minutes.

i thought maybe one of my belts is rubbing, or one of the hoses is burning... any clue?
I thought it came from the seat heating - but I have never been able to point out exactly from where that stinging smell came.

Last edited by RobertaGardne; 04-15-2024 at 01:09 PM.