New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New 850 R wagon in GA

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 850 R wagon in GA

Hello all. y'all. I'm from GA and loving the new family ride so much that i may look for another one for ME soon. My wife is the lucky driver of our 1997 850R wagon that we bought last week. I love it, this baby is very nice and comfortable and FAST with tons of room for all kinds of stuff, i have already put a few hundred miles on her and falling more in love with car as i drive it more. I am really new to Volvo's but i have owned 1 before i was really into cars, in high school my mom bought me an 87' 760 GLT intercooled sedan, leather, a/t, blue~green factory flipflop color. It was the nicest car i have owned until the 850, too bad i wrecked the 760 about 5 months after i got it.

Anyways, i am here for information and fellowship, it would be great to meet locals and i love to go fast. My daily is a 90' Supra n/a that i am trying to bring up on maintenance and i have a 95' 240sx drift car.

I will be modifying the R mildly so it is still a good car for the wife, but i do enjoy driving it and am thinking of an ECU tune (speedtuningusa.com) intake, exhaust, IC hard piping/ hoses, and some slightly more aggressive brakes..... I will learn some more and put those questions in the right subforum though.

That's about it for now. Thanks!

Name:  Volvo850R004.jpg
Views: 4388
Size:  141.9 KB
Name:  Volvo850R003.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  143.5 KB

Old 09-05-2010, 08:23 PM

I fixed the corner light cover and bulb connectors, replaced the brake light bulb, found and fixed the disconnected rear spray filter that was leaking, took the crumbling rubber off the trim pieces on the roof and tightened a loose rear view mirror. I actually feel a lil accomplished today, lol.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome nice looking wagon.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:50 PM

Nice!

Old 09-05-2010, 09:36 PM

Terina where did you find it if you do not mind me asking? There was one in Athens I was going to go look at. Just wondering if it was the same one? I am in Gwinnett County. My search still continues for the right one.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:02 PM

Yes, i beat you to it. [SORRY] (not really)

I hauled *** up there to check it out, there are many minor imperfections that he did not mention even though i asked about a hundred questions over the phone but i am very happy with the purchase.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by TERINASSsydwayz
Yes, i beat you to it. [SORRY] (not really)

I hauled *** up there to check it out, there are many minor imperfections that he did not mention even though i asked about a hundred questions over the phone but i am very happy with the purchase.
There always are. I did not want to pay the money he was asking so I decided to look around some more. I am glad you like it. Small world I guess...good news is there is one less 850R buyer looking for one. I looked at a Sedan up in Cartersville that looked great in the pictures but it was a mess when I actually got up there to look at it. My search continues and I will find one eventually. I might save the price premium and just get the regular 850 Turbo and purchase the ECU upgrade. They all arrive at the same HP/torque with the upgrade. Then We can hope and pray that the other memeber on here makes the 850R knockoff seat covers to fit...oh I can dream I guess. Glad you are happy with it.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:54 AM

thanks, yeah the seats definitely caught my attn

Old 09-08-2010, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Love the Red R's

Old 09-08-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by turbo matt
Then We can hope and pray that the other memeber on here makes the 850R knockoff seat covers to fit...oh I can dream I guess. Glad you are happy with it.
Matt they are on the way. Just arrived today two 850R seats in my garage waiting to be redone. I'm thinking about a forum survey on how I should do them up?

I'm a bit Po'd though, I think when you pay big $$$ for seats from a salvage yard and shipping they should come with the control panels? what do you guys think?

TERINASSsydwayz Nice car, I want one just like it to add to my collection.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Bob, you are the wagon dude. I want a wagon myself. They can haul so much.

Yes I think the seats should have come with the controls. If they were not going to include them, they should have told you up front.

Do the seat covers just like they are done in the original cars. I was looking at a T-5R wagon that I was going to order seat covers for. Not sure if my offer will be accepted. Usually takes a few days.

Oh yea, love the red wagon. There is one like it around here. Haven't see it in about 2 months. Hopefully it's not gone. I would like to purchase that thing one day. Yours looks a lot better. A car that nice, the seller usually starts to let it go before they sell it. Congrats!

Last edited by rspi; 09-20-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: addition/typo
Old 09-08-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bobec
Matt they are on the way. Just arrived today two 850R seats in my garage waiting to be redone. I'm thinking about a forum survey on how I should do them up?

I'm a bit Po'd though, I think when you pay big $$$ for seats from a salvage yard and shipping they should come with the control panels? what do you guys think?

TERINASSsydwayz Nice car, I want one just like it to add to my collection.
Bobec I do not even have a Volvo yet but when I do I will be calling you. I have put my Volvo search on a little hiatus for the time being. Got to pay some bills and save a little more I guess. I have a cheap budget for a car and I can not get anyone to budge on their asking price for them...I should not complain too much I guess as you get what you pay for.

Did you buy the whole interior out of it or just the front seat's? You can PM me if you like, dont want to ruin Terinnas thread.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:01 PM

Well after installing an IPD upper tq brace the other day my wife tells me the car runs like ****. So i drive it and it it is missing and bucking like crazy. I messed with the wires and the fresh air and cold side piping while i was in there and also pulled the plug cover to looky-loo.

Soooooo..... I just took off all the wires from the cap and they all look good and reconnected them to make sure they were tight. i found that the wastegate vac line was cracked pretty badly and that the line from the under side of the fresh pipe to the vac tower was completely broken in pieces - i replaced these both and checked all the bolts on the piping i messed with the other day. I drive the car and the miss is ALOT better but it is still stuttering a little at regular load and idle but i dont really notice it at high RPMs so i go outside to pull the plugs and check them and about the time i get off the plug cover it starts raining really hard. i did get to see that there is some oil on top of the head and some smoke drifting out when i took of the oil filler cap.

I am still learning and right now have about 3 threads pulled up i am reading but is the PCV problem i keep hearing about?

Old 09-17-2010, 10:42 PM

Well damn Terinna sorry you are having some problems! I was told that if you drive the car around and let it warm up to operating temperature and pull the oil dipstick tube if is smoking from there badly then is probably is the PCV thing behind and under the intake (front of the engine). It will always smoke some from the oil fill cap if you remove it after driving it or while it is idleing. It smokes because of heat.

Is the bucking on accelerating under boost or just normal driving? You could have some bad plugs, wires , cap or rotor (or just really old). 1st thing I would do is put a code scanner on it and see f it pulls any codes. Go to Vautozone ( Autozone) or Advanced auto and they can scan it for you for free.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:19 PM

All my vacc hoses were f*cked and i am replacing right now..... just cruising the site to see how the best way to remove the PTC for cleaning is while i'm in there.
If i break the thing i'm gonna cry so i have to be careful

Old 09-18-2010, 07:48 PM
ed7
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only in this Volvo world could a dude be as happy and proud as Clark Griswold to own and drive a wagon.
I've been a wagon dude for 26 years.
ED7

Old 09-19-2010, 09:22 AM

For removal of the PTC I had to use more force and manipulation of the fresh air piping than i was comfortable with but i got the pipe out by removing the tubing going to the PTC and nothing broke. i just saturated it in brake-cleaner like suggested while still attached to the piping and then removed alot of the deposits in both ports with a small stick then Q-tips then more brake kleen. I did notice quite a bit of oil mist in the piping itself and there is light oil all in the turbo, i just used some intake cleaner from a distance and tried wash it out a little and took of the factory BOV , wiped down the diaphragm and washed out the housing and sprayed more cleaner in throughthe casting

Last edited by TERINASSsydwayz; 09-19-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:00 PM

SON OF A BITCH i am a much happier man after today.
Last week the car began to run really rough per the wife, i drove it and there was an intermittent misfire which turned into a regular miss. adavanced auto ran the codes for me and showed that cyl no 4 wasn't firing, i pull wire and plug clean them and nothing.... take off wire and it registers nill with multi meter. long story short fcpgroton supplied me an extended service tune up kit and after ignition components install and a crank but no start scenario started to drive me mad over the past 2 days. it turns out after looking at the HAYNES MANUAL again and again and some online DIY i notice that there is a discrepancy of cap orientation to plug wires and that the Haynes has the wrong positions marked - the DIY was correct and also while i was changing the order i notice a little whitish plug that is beside the PCV & fresh pipe is hanging unconnected. i cannot find the receptacle until i DIG and then find the bottom plug under the cap that i can hardly see because of grime is open. connect it and BAM! we are cooking with crisco!

So i think i just probably got all new OEM stuff because i left a connector undone. I shall take my genius bow now thank you

also after cleaning alot of the engine in the process i was also able to resheild my headlight wires since the had hrdly any plastic left on them and i also installed some HiDs. she gets a bath and Ice tomorrow an then i can just rest and enjoy her for a while hopefully

Last edited by TERINASSsydwayz; 10-03-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Glad you got that figured out. You should be good for a while. Don't do like I do and just drive around for the fun of it. I'm putting about 3,000 miles per month on mine.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:22 AM

I'm also guilty of driving mine round for fun - if you're in Chicago watch out for my purple custom sprayed model! hehe

Quick Reply: New 850 R wagon in GA