Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Front windshield will not Defrost properly

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front windshield will not Defrost properly

For some reason my car sense I have bought it has had an issue with the front defroster. The thing blows and it works, it just takes forever. Also if its raining outside the whole inside of my car fogs up in the matter of seconds. Sometimes the defroster doesnt even work even though its blowingand I have to turn the ac on which fixes the issue. Is this a common problem or can this be fixed by replacing something(hopefully not to expensive).

Old 10-27-2011, 08:22 PM

Front defoggers usually turn on the AC to remove the humidity in the air.
Even if the heat is on you it will have the a/c cycle.

As for the rain if you are wet or there is moisture in the car you will fog up in any car..

Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 PM

Hrmm yeah (defogger not defroster*) issues in my car could just be me having a severe case of car ocd. I drive in many of my friends cars and there cars defog in the matter of seconds....and mine takes 20 mins or longer. So I have to sit back and question the abilities of my car..oh okay thats why the ac seems to work alot better. Yeah Iknew about the moisture in the car,my gfs dodge neon leaks.......i blame it on the fact that she has a dodge it not a volvo...but the facts point towards a cracked windshield seal.....well with that said her car fogs alot because of the moisture....mine is the same either way...if im wet or dry...again it could just be me....just seems a little weird that it takes so long to defog.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:09 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure where you are going with the windshield seal? A leaking windshield shouldn't have much to do with how well the defroster works only that you might need to use it more often.
If it's blowing strong from the vents and the temperature of the air is nice and toasty it's possible you have a heater core leaking.
Put the system into defrost and look under the hood to see if the AC compressor is engauged and turning. If your compressor is turning and the small AC line is cold it's probably the core leaking and adding to the fogging problem.
From cold engine to proper temp should be less than five minutes and only a couple more to completely defog (not de-ice) the windshield. I know I have a problem with my blend door motor because I can't get a strong flow through the defroster vents and I can still get my windshield clear pretty fast so it's not the design, you have a problem.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with Kiss " it's possible you have a heater core leaking".

Old 10-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If I have the AC off, my car foggs as well. When I turn the AC on, it clears the windshield in seconds. Now if you let it go for a while and let the windows get wet with fog, then it will take a few minutes for the AC to dry the windows and clear them. DO NOT try to defog the windows with the AC off, it's a waste of time. Most Volvo's will not run defog without the AC compressor on, if the switch is off or not.

https://customers.volvocars.com/owne...19.html#pg1.19

Last edited by rspi; 10-28-2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: link