Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 XC90 electrical problems

Old 08-01-2012, 05:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 XC90 electrical problems

Just picked up an 04 XC90 and love it. But yesterday as I was sitting in my sisters drive the A/C, GPS, and gauges just quit and after a few seconds started back up. I now have in the left message screen "SRS Airbag" problem. Also the clock quit working. It did this shut down/restart about 4 times and only does it when I am sitting still or at low speed. A little background on the car, 04 XC90, T6. This is my first Volvo and I really think it is a sharp car. I just hope I haven't got a major problem. I am a new member here and hope you folks can help me out. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

electrical gremlins like that can be caused when the voltage regulator is going bad and allowing the voltage to go too high or low intermittently. the VR is part of the alternator. on some cars it can be replaced separate from the alternator but most you have to replace the whole alternator. not sure about volvos. you can get voltmeters which plug into the cig lighter to monitor voltage which should be about 14 volts plus or minus 0.5 with car running.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:45 PM

First of all the only way to get a accurate diagnosis of the problem is to take the vehicle to a authorized Volvo dealership service department. My thoughts are that is a problem with the DIM module. This is your instrument cluster.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the replys. I am heading to Lexington first thing in the morning to have it checked out at a dealer. After descibing the problem, the service manager actually thought altenator. But I suppose I will find out tomorrow. Again, Thanks for the response to my question. I will post after I find out what is going on with it. Quite a learning curve on this thing!! LOL.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:51 PM

OK, Just in from the dealer. Turned out to be the main computer in the car. I have to say that I am sold on the dealer in Lexington Ky. The service manager that I dealt with was on top of his game. Very kind, got the car in and out quickly and kept me informed every step of the way. His name is Eric Less I think. But my first time with this dealers service dept. would bring me back. Can't say enough good things about them. It had a remote starter on it from the PO so they took it out at no charge since I didn't have the switch for it anyway. Thanks.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:53 AM

Here, something simillar, XC90, 2004, T6

The story begun last year In Italy. Weather temperatures in that region were incredible high. And that one day it stared. During highway driving suddenly I heard a sound which appeared when you opening a car from a remote controller, a message LEFT REAR DOOR OPEN, RED TRIANGLE INDICATOR ON DASBOARD, whole interior lights on. After few minutes all electronics devices turned off: dashboard, signpost, air condit. etc. I stopped a car, turn ignition off and start again. Everything looks fine except SRS service required message.
I drove to a nearest Volvo Dealers. They checked an error list: CEM-1D08, DDM-000A, ECM-928C, SRS 00D5 and REM-4A31 and 35.
It was a year ago. The whole strange situation repeated 3 more time. Each time under high weather temperature condition. So, my suspicious is a CEM. What do you think?

Old 08-07-2012, 09:24 AM

When we bought our '06 XC90 a few months ago, there were two on the lot. They each had some differences in options, so we were assessing which one had the options we ost wanted. Well, fortunately the dealer disclosed that one of them had an issue where the A/C would shut off suddenly and then come back on after a while. Not wanting to find out what that was all about, we abandoned that one and bought the other one. Sunds like we may have made a wise move, as it could well have been a computer problem and may have been causing other problems he didn't disclose.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Default 2012 xc90 problems

I'm not sure if anyone is going to see this as i don't know how to start a new post.

1st problem, we had a bad odor coming from the car when it was under load ie: climbing a hill on local roads or the highway. dealer put a new cat in the car but problem still happens from time to time. The car has 8000 miles. The dealer has tested the several times and could not dup. the problem. The odor was so bad everyone in the car felt as if they wanted to ____. Ill leave that for you to figure out!

2nd problem, This no one is going to believe. I did not believe my wife when she told me, but yesterday it happened to me so now i believe. While the car is sitting not running key sitting in the console, the a/c blower came on and was blowing air out of the a/c vents. i had to turn the key on for it to stop. When it happened to my wife she said it was on for apx. 10 minutes. Has anyone heard of such a thing? i have not called volvo yet.

This is our 3rd xc90 we love em and would like to keep leasing but this may be a deal breaker.. Any insight would be helpful..

Thanks

Old 08-08-2012, 03:42 AM

s91, had the car been running with the AC on? If so, the blower will kick on after a certain time to get rid of condensation in the evap core and runs about 7 minutes. It is explained in the owners manual. It caught me off guard too the first time it happened to me. LOL.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:51 AM

mdrew, these things have more computers and networks than the space schuttle! On mine, it would shut down the GPS, AC, gauges for a few seconds and actually kept the car from starting on a couple occasions. It ended up costimg around $1200 for a new main computer from the dealer. It would not surprise me if your issues were related to a compter in your car.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:20 PM

Thank you all,

Called volvo today and thats what they said. never seen or heard of this but thats ok, just as long as i'm not crazy!

Originally Posted by chiefbill1959
s91, had the car been running with the AC on? If so, the blower will kick on after a certain time to get rid of condensation in the evap core and runs about 7 minutes. It is explained in the owners manual. It caught me off guard too the first time it happened to me. LOL.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Old 10-18-2013, 03:00 AM

Thanks Peter

It's seems you're right. I replaced my CEM a few months ago and a problem with that electrical malfunctions, for now, disappeared.