Volvo C30 This compact hatchback gives a sporty feel without compromising versatility.

Volvo C30: diagnosing dashboard/electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo C30: diagnosing dashboard/electrical issues

Hi, I'm the original owner of a 2010 C30 T5 with 108k miles. I love the car, but waited far too long to deal with typical leaky sunroof drain hoses (now replaced + glued into place). Now looking for advice on dealing with electrical issues that affect my dashboard.

We had heavy rains over the past few months. One day several weeks ago, my key fob stopped remotely locking/unlocking my doors and tire pressure monitoring went offline (so the 'low pressure' gauge is constantly on, though tire pressure is fine). I've had intermittent problems with warnings about the ABS system going offline and occasional moments where my speedometer -- or the entire dash -- has died for 1-2 minutes at a time. The car runs fine despite the warnings.

I've read other posts that point to corrosion/shorts on the CEM. Yesterday, I followed a great Youtube video that walked me through removing and cleaning the CEM. Other than a bit of dust, it generally looked clean (no green corrosion, etc). However, for good measure I sprayed all connectors on the CEM with contact cleaner, scrubbed with nylon brushes, applied contact preserver and let it dry before reconnecting.

Unfortunately that didn't help. My car will start with the key fob in the ignition but remote lock/unlock isn't working, and TPMS is offline. I replaced the main battery as voltage was slightly below 12v, replaced the battery in my key fob, tried my backup fob as well -- no luck.

Wondering what to look into next -- wiring? I've been hesitant to go down the Vida/Dice path given the reported headaches in getting a working setup, but am not excited about paying a shop to diagnose the problem (or leaving my car with them for a week -- I live hours away). I'd love any advice that more experienced folks in this community might offer. Thanks!