Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

If your C70 Hardtop has roof rattles or clunks

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry If your C70 Hardtop has roof rattles or clunks

Deal with it! Its a freaking convertible with 3 movable pieces that are constantly moving when the top is up. As the body flexes the top will make noise. There is nothing you can do about it so quit whining. Turn the radio up or simply put the top down in the trunk. Yes you paid 40 plus thousand for it and you are stuck with it. If you bring it to a dealership guess what you will be disappointed when you get it back and nothing has changed. Don't get your panties in a wad. Its a known problem and everyone has tried at Volvo to make it quiet. There is just no way. If you feel that cause you paid that much for it that it should be quiet then you are an idiot. There i have voiced my opinion on this car.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:44 PM

Dude! Chill! A simple "There's nothing that can be done to correct/fix/reduce the problem" would have sufficed. To resort to name calling and such calls into question who the real idiot is and is, by the way, against the Forum rules.

X Man (another new member)

Old 06-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Default C70 hard top

My hard top is now 4 year old.
I have a small rattle in the top but think it is one of the
small springs. You can use some wax on rubber seals so it
doesn't squeak and use a piece of duct tape on the
nylon tendons that have springs on them.
I did and it worked to make it quiet. Just depends on how
exacting you want to be.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:54 PM

I have a 3 week old 2011 C70 that is making roof noises that it did not make during the test drive (when the top is up). Its like a knocking sound when driving on rough pavement. While it makes sense to me that a hard top convertible top has to be able to flex, not knowing if this noise is normal or not has me worried. If its normal, I'm cool with it...

Old 06-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Default 2011 C70 Hardtop Noises

I have a 2011 C70 that I bought in July 2010, so it is almost two years old. The hardtop is not noisy at all, no matter what the speed or condition of the road. I was expecting noise, so this was a pleasant surprise. My point is that you should have it checked out, that this is NOT something you necessarily need to live with.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:59 PM

I bought a 2008 with 24K miles so it hasn't been in use too much. To keep it quiet, I try to avoid slam banging over railroad crossings and try to avoid potholes and I go slowly over speed bumps. Simple things, but they might lessen the impacts and jarring that the roof mechanicals will experience over time. This type of vehicle will flex more than a sedan or coupe like mushroomxiii says. Volvos are stoutly made and probably do it less than other models so take heart.

Old 04-18-2024, 01:46 PM
Default It's Witchcraft I tell ya!

Originally Posted by mushroomxiii
Deal with it! Its a freaking convertible with 3 movable pieces that are constantly moving when the top is up. As the body flexes the top will make noise. There is nothing you can do about it so quit whining. Turn the radio up or simply put the top down in the trunk. Yes you paid 40 plus thousand for it and you are stuck with it. If you bring it to a dealership guess what you will be disappointed when you get it back and nothing has changed. Don't get your panties in a wad. Its a known problem and everyone has tried at Volvo to make it quiet. There is just no way. If you feel that cause you paid that much for it that it should be quiet then you are an idiot. There i have voiced my opinion on this car.
Two things knock together and make a noise!

That's unsolvable eh?

​​​​​​That be WITCHCRAFT I tell ya!

I have the C70 Volvo roof rattle.

I intend to find the problem, solve it, and report back.

=K=

Old 04-22-2024, 03:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 2011 C70 with no rattles or clunks. It has been driven gently on paved roads. I have driven with the top down vary rarely. My independent shop did service the roof mechanism. There are places to apply grease. I recently left it in a partial open position and cleaned all the rubber gaskets and applied stuff to keep the rubber soft. These cars have a reinforced frame to avoid body rattles and frame bending,. Some people just abuse their cars driving like a bat out of hell as we say in the South.