Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Noise when I full lock the steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Noise when I full lock the steering

I’m looking for some help on this, I don’t think its anything serious but I was wondering... I have an 02 S80 2.9 but with the upgraded 17" rims from the t6, so my tyre size is 225/50/R17... nothing too big... Anyway at low speeds, when I lock the wheel all the way to one direction and put down a little bit of power, I tend to hear a rubbing, possibly grinding noise. From what I can understand, it doesn’t affect the driving in any way and I seriously doubt that the tyre will be rubbing on the wheel well.. Anyway, whatever suggestions I can get as to what ca be the cause will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Nicolas

Old 01-31-2008, 05:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Noise when I full lock the steering

Had the same on my T6 and it was the tyres rubbing on the inside of the the well.

Take the wheel off and check the plastic well for rub marks if there are then you need a pair of new steerin stops check them while the wheel is off. (Small metal bar with piece of rubber stuck on).

If these are warn get a new pair, not expensive and easy to replace 2 bolts and a way you go!

put a bit of grease on them while your there!

Old 01-31-2008, 05:53 AM

Thanks for the advice, il try to do it ASAP even though I dont know when Il have time to do it.. have a crazy schedule for the next week or so..
While im on the topic, any simple way to avoid rust forming on my rotors? I doubt it affects my stopping power much, but I hate to see rusty rotors.. more than anything on a car. Thing is , the prior owner of the car did a COMPLETE brake job a year ago for 700 dollars.. He put new disc pads, new rotors, new disc hardware, quite the expensive job... I can call the company he did it at, its here in the Tampa bay area and ask them what rotors they used, but I dont know if it would really make a difference..
Anyway, il try to take down the wheel asap.. I could have checked the day I got my flat but naturally I had bigger concerns.
Maybe it could be something that the fools at Tyre Kingdom here in tampa did... apart from charging me EXORBITANT labour fees, they put on one of my brand new 160 dollar yokohama as430's badly so the rim cut into it, until it went flat 2 weeks later. They sealed it for free but I was more hoping for a new tyre.. I also had them align it the firs time and rotate tires so who knows what they did to it.
Anyway, all shall be revealed

Old 01-31-2008, 08:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That'd be the last time I went to that tire place. What a waste of time and money, I would've been having a long talk with the store manager or corporate office (assuming they aren't just local).

As for the rust on the dics I haven't the faintest clue what you could do outside of cleaning them. And I don't know if that's recommended or not. Perhpas Tech or one of the other mech guys could enlighten us normal folks?

Old 01-31-2008, 10:54 PM

Well apparently Tyre Kingdom has branches all over the US... Im definitely not going back though.. I was just in a jam at that point and not being native to tampa, just asked for a reccomendation and thats what they came up with. At least the tyres are superb, iv been punishing them lately and they have just been eating up like nothing, never provoked the car to the point where I felt i would lose control
The rust isnt too bad on the rotors, its just a bit bothersome... I really wish I could park my car in a garage or some kind of indoor staorage rather than leaving it out every night...
Back home we have an open air locked garage but the temperature doesnt vary very much between day and night in Trinidad, maybe about 15 degrees MAXIMUM...

Concerning the rubbing with lock, someone on another forum told me this is a frequent problem with s80's but I cant speak for that.. happen to anyone else?

Old 02-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never had my tires rub when the wheel is locked, but that wheel well is pretty tight so it would surprise me if it did happen on some tires.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:49 AM

It doesnt seem to be anything serious at all so i just wanted to make sure of it, il still take down the tyres one day to see how much it rubs at full lock and so on...

Old 04-12-2013, 08:30 PM

I have the same problem with my 2004 S80 T6 Turbo Elite. On full lock I hear a grinding noise but nothing at all when driving or steering normally! The tires on my T6 are really wide but pretty sure they're stock size since the rims are stock. Is this a common problem on the S80?

Old 04-13-2013, 12:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think that noise is something internal ..some part/area of the suspension is worn out. like bearing maybe. now i too have been getting that noise..

Old 04-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Default S60 T5 Wheel Noise

My 2002 S60 T5 has always had a noise in the wheel when I had the steering wheel turned all the way to one side or the other. It's super annoying, but my understanding is that it's not a problem.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:42 PM

So I just had a full bumper to bumper done on my 2004 S80 T6 Turbo Elite and they said it's in perfect condition except for one control arm bushing that is just starting to separate. They said they do not believe this is what's causing the noise and not to worry about it.