Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

Bi-Xenon Headlight diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bi-Xenon Headlight diagnosis

Hi! I'm having troubles with the bi-xenon HID headlights on my 2007 V50 T5 AWD.
One side stopped working. I've put a new bulb with no success. Later, the other side turned off too. Now I have no headlight and the bulbs are not the cause. The high beams are ok as well as the parking lights and turn signals.
I have tried to change one ballast but it did not solve the problem. I did All what was possible by interchanging parts from one side to the other and there is no way to make them turn on.
I read a lot about how the HID system is working but now, I'm stuck. I'm thinking of a general problem that makes them both turn off. I've removed and checked the switch. I assume there is no fuse for HID circuit witch is controlled by the ECU.

Does anybody know how to check voltage on headlight connectors (#pin + voltage) ?
And what voltage should be present at igniter connector?

Does anybody have had similar issue hith HID Bi-Xenon headlight?
I would be very happy to have some input.
Thanks!

Old 10-10-2022, 08:49 AM
Received 586 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by jowilam
The high beams are ok as well as the parking lights and turn signals.
On a HID headlamp - there is usually only one bulb for low and high beam. A motor changes the angle of the bulb for high beam - so i'm confused. The inner bulbs are daytime running lamps on cars with HIDs. But here is a wiring diagram. Do you have power at fuse 58 and 59 (for left and right headlamp) in the CEM? The headlamps are on a LIN-BUS system. That means network signals travel through the wire with the square wave above it (with the green oval around it). I have had many cases where something happens electrically and a self diagnosic code is set in the CEM for a headlamp - The CEM then turns off power and it is restored by reading and erasing the codes (and solving what caused the problem to begin with) Have you scanned the CEM (and all other control units while you are there)? The illustrations for 2/63 the headlamp relay - usually they are illustrated with exactly where they are - as in how the fuel pump relay location is shown - the headlamp relay is not that specific - and don't know why.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:41 AM

Thank you very much Hoonk for your input. You are right, I should have say Xenon not Bi. The high beams are on separate halogen bulbs and they work well.
Sorry about that and shame on me!
Is the component locator (p.261) the same for my car? Is the wiring for my HID similar to the Bi-xenon that you have posted?
Can the rear wiper motor circuit be in the game? My rear wiper stops everywhere since (+/-) the time I have problems with the front lights.
I will put the scanner on and check for codes.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:32 PM

I should have say Xenon not Bi.
I will put the scanner on and check for codes.
Here's the 2 bulb wiring. Power for the low beams comes from the CEM and they are not fused (externally). High beams are powered through relay 2/63 and those 2 fuses 58/59 on the cem. If other wonky things are happening - you may have a problem with the CEM . Common symptoms courtesy of xemodex

Last edited by hoonk; 10-11-2022 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:05 PM

Hi All!
I still not have found what causes my low beam HID to not work.
I have finally been able to scan my car with a VIDA.
There were a lot (10+) of DTCs CEM-8Axx. Probably some were due to my previous tests by interchanging parts and disconnecting connectors.
I cleared the codes and gave it and other scan. Here is the result:
CEM- 8A24
CEM- 8A25
CEM- 8A30
CEM- 8A39
CEM- 8A09
CEM- 8A12

My height sensors are dead since a while and some codes are related to that so I don't mind about them because this is not the reason of this thread.
Any thoughts of what to begin with?
Thanks

Old 11-30-2022, 02:52 PM

If you have VIDA - Click on each code, Vida will give you a list of possible solutions. For example - below is what appears for 8a24 diagnostics.

Old 11-30-2022, 04:22 PM

I don't have Vida myself. I did it with a friend... I guess I can start with 8A24 and see if I'm lucky!

Old 11-30-2022, 04:46 PM

Here's the VIDA code info page and a list of codes in that range. With all those failure codes on both sides, you're probably not going to have a bad wire or connection. So - as mentioned earlier you might have a CEM problem.

Old 12-01-2022, 06:54 AM

Thank you Hoonk.
I suspect CEM too. Or a wire between it and GDL.
I aslo read that the left-hand GDL is master and right-hand GDL Slave. Can you confirm that information?
I have changed the RH GDL only so I'm thinking of replacing the LH before going any further if this information is right.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:26 AM

I found the problem!!
The CEM (fuse box) is literally toasted!
I removed The CEM from the car and opened it.
The big green connector was hard to detach due to corrosion.

Now I'm looking for a CEM with (at least) the green connector.
Part number is 30765015 051006 stamped on it.
I have some questions before I go ahead with this:
-Is this CEM the same on FWD C30, S40, etc... ?
-Is it also installed on cars without Xenon lights?

A couple of these cars are in the scrapyards near me and I just want to make sure it fits.

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2022, 11:52 AM

A couple of these cars are in the scrapyards near me and I just want to make sure it fits.
As a general rule the CEM (in most Volvos) is coded to the VIN. Meaning a used part will not work. To verify if that is true for your CEM you might want to discuss that with xemodex. (before finding and installing a part that won't fix anything)

Old 12-07-2022, 02:54 PM
Received 88 Likes on 86 Posts

Have you tried contact cleaner on all the connectors and the CEM to verify it is not just corrosion? Maybe you can be lucky Contact cleaner is safe for all electronics and plastics. You can coat it with the stuff, leave it ample time to dry and reinstall.

I have had electonics ( I know not the same as a CEM) completely covered in corrosion from batteries being left in for years and sprayed the crap out of it with contact cleaner and let it sit for a couple days, reinstall batteries and worked as new. There was corrosion/ battery leakage on circuit boards too.

Also, anything after 2004 will have a VIN coded CEM. afaik.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the advice I will verify that with Xemodex.
Do you know if the Volvo dealers are able to reprogram a CEM from another car? My dealer doesn't want to commit about that on the phone but it seems to me that it might be possible.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:22 PM

Do you know if the Volvo dealers are able to reprogram a CEM from another car?
VIDA - the programming program a Volvo dealer uses - can only program NEW control units.

An aftermarket source such as xemodex can make USED control units work in your car. (but you have to ship your parts to them in Canada)

Old 12-07-2022, 03:29 PM

Ok, I see, That confirms what the dealer told me.
Many thanks Hoonk for your quick help!

Old 12-07-2022, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dingus1
Have you tried contact cleaner on all the connectors and the CEM to verify it is not just corrosion? Maybe you can be lucky
The printed circuit board is toasted/burned.

Old 12-07-2022, 04:57 PM
Received 88 Likes on 86 Posts

The printed circuit board is toasted/burned.
Ah I understand. I can at least vouch for xemodex service. I used them to get a upgraded CEM on my 06 s60. I used overnight shipping and I think it was 2-3 day total turnaround.

Old 01-11-2023, 11:13 AM

Update: I recently transplanted my CEM motherboard in another used CEM I found. The complete CEM is made out of 3 printed circuit boards soldered with jumpers all around. One PCB is the motherboard with 2 processors (the one that I should keep to make my car recognize the CEM) and the other two are PCB with resistances and connector pins. On my CEM, one of these two boards with connector pins was burned (black melted circuit near connectors). I decided to change the bad burned PCBs expecting it would revival the CEM. I also changed all bad (oxidized and burned) connectors in the car's wiring harness. I finally reinstalled my CEM in the car. Finger crossed, started the engine. My work was well done! My rear wiper problem was solved: it now stops at the right place. But the low beams are still not working. I ran Vida, cleared codes and still read
CEM 8A09
CEM 8A12
CEM 8A24
CEM 8A25
CEM 8A27

Now, I want to check the wiring in between the CEM and the GDL (gas discharge lamp module) and the lamp connector before I ship my unit to Xemodex.
My Vida does not have wiring diagrams nor connector pinout downloaded in it. Does anyone can help me with that? I need the pinout for all connectors in the low beam circuit from the CEM, to GDL, to front lights. Note that my low beams are HID and high beams are Halogen.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by jowilam; 01-11-2023 at 11:17 AM. Reason: missing info
Old 01-11-2023, 11:49 AM

do not have wiring diagrams nor connector pinout downloaded in it. Does anyone can help me with that? I need the pinout for all connectors in the low beam circuit from the CEM, to GDL, to front lights.
The wiring diagram is in post #2 above

Old 01-11-2023, 12:06 PM

Ok, this means that bi xenon has the same wiring as xenon-halogen for low beams?
And is there a picture of the connectors pinout and identification to recognize them?

Last edited by jowilam; 01-11-2023 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Bi-Xenon Headlight diagnosis